During January a new Poor Pete's Hut in Kahurangi National Park was installed by DOC's Nelson Lakes staff, replacing the old two bunk hut built in 1956. The near new two bunk hut was relocated from Bald Hill Knob in the South Wangapeka where it was used for trapping work and was no longer needed. An enclosed deck has been built onto the hut giving the possibility for trampers to camp on the deck as well. The old hut was removed to DOC's Murchison yard and is available for anyone wanting it to take it. This new hut will please a letter writer to the November 2011 FMC Bulletin concerned that the hut was to be removed altogether. DOC had previously planned to remove the hut at some stage but realised the importance of having a hut situated near the edge of the Thousand Acre Plateau.
Photo: Greg Carter, DOC Nelson Lakes